Workday reporting resources help PIs track grant activity

Since the launch of Workday, a growing number of Principal Investigators (PIs) at WSU have begun to use reports to support their grants management activities. As of September 2023, at least 100 PIs at WSU run their own reports in Workday, often several times per month. This represents about 8% of all PIs at WSU. This number is expected to grow as a result of the continued collaboration of PIs, departmental grant management personnel, SPS and Modernization.

Workday offers two primary reports intended specifically for use by PIs: CR GRA PI Award Lines Budget to Actuals Summary and CR GRA PI Sponsored Expense Detail. These two reports allow PIs to quickly access information about available balances and prior expenses on their grants, providing greater visibility into past activities, as well as increased ability to plan with confidence.

PIs using these reports have shared feedback about how these reports have helped them, including:

• Visibility into available balances: “Finally, I could see what I have in my grants,” and “I have money in my account, and the grant expired.”
  • Information about expenses and activity: “My co-PIs (subcontractors) did not spend the (grant) money.”

Modernization encourages PIs who haven’t yet incorporated Workday reports into their grants management activities to explore the following resources to learn more about, and begin using, the following reports:

PIs are also encouraged to register for the upcoming Elevating Cougs conference, which offers a reporting session is for PIs who need to know which reports to run and how to run them, for their grants.

Modernization, SPS, and grant management experts from across the university continue to work to improve reporting resources for grants management, including those for PIs. Questions and feedback about these reports, or reporting in Workday in general, may be submitted at the Workday Service Desk.